The Dr. Bernard Moitt Barbados Study Abroad Scholarship
The Dr. Bernard Moitt Barbados Study Abroad Scholarship was established in 2019 by Dr. Bernard Moitt, Professor of History in VCU’s College of Humanities and Sciences to support student participation in VCU’s longest-running faculty-led study abroad program, Barbados: Atlantic History and Culture. Dr. Moitt has directed the summer study abroad program to Barbados for over 20 years and established this scholarship to support student participation in the program among diverse students with high financial need. Preference will be given to students who have demonstrated interest in equality, diversity, or social/racial justice for members of the African American, Latinx, AAPI, and/or Native American communities by participating in appropriate community activities, social groups, student clubs, or organizations that support this focus.
Eligible applicants should have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or greater and demonstrate financial need. Student must agree to complete the application for the Barbados program, register for six credits through the Barbados study abroad program, and participate in the full program. Students who withdraw from the program prior to departure, who are dismissed from the program, or who fail to complete the courses will be ineligible to receive the scholarship. The top qualified applicants will be asked to conduct an interview as part of the selection process.
- Supplemental Questions
- Program name and/or name of host institution
- Intended Dates of Study Abroad Participation
- Please identify any type of financial support you receive to attend VCU (federal financial aid, institutional scholarships, etc).
- In a clear, thoughtfully prepared essay of approximately 500 words, introduce yourself and present your reasons for wanting to study abroad. State what you expect to gain from the experience, personally, academically, and professionally. Discuss your commitment to international education and how you plan to share your experiences upon your return.
- Please provide information on your ability to fund your study abroad experience. Explain in detail why you need this scholarship to participate on the program.
- Please describe your involvement in the commitment to and advocacy of marginalized communities. Examples may include, but are not limited to, student volunteer activity and involvement in student organizations.
- I understand that by applying for funding through VCU Education Abroad I am not guaranteed to receive support and that my completed application will be evaluated through a competitive process. I understand that, if selected, I will be notified and asked to confirm my interest in receiving the award. I agree to notify the Education Abroad office in writing if I no longer wish to be considered for a scholarship. Students who no longer wish to be considered for the scholarship should email firstname.lastname@example.org. By digitally signing this document, I acknowledge that both my personal reputation and the reputation of the University can benefit from the manner in which I represent myself and VCU. I will do everything within my control to safeguard my good name and that of VCU throughout my experience abroad. As required under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99), commonly known as FERPA, I hereby give permission for my scholarship application, including but not limited to grade point average (GPA), transcripts, essays, and individual course grades, to be used and discussed with VCU faculty, staff, alumni, and community members. I grant permission for VCU to use my biographical information to publicize my nomination for this award and my receipt of this award, should I be selected. I also hereby certify that I have no Honor Code convictions or pending investigations with respect to academic integrity and all of the information I include in my application for this award are my own work and are accurate and truthful to the best of my knowledge. If I receive a scholarship, I agree to: Register my study abroad program with VCU Education Abroad by the appropriate registration deadline. Furthermore, I acknowledge that all of my statements on the application are complete and accurate to the best of my ability.
- Show 2 more